Week 14 & 15
The semester now comes to a quiet close. Sorry I couldn't post last week. Christmas is rolling up, and the second and final project must be finished by Friday morning. I simply haven't been able to find the time. Regardless, my time in the Software Engineering course is also coming to a close. Tomorrow begins the last official week until the winter break, in time for Christmas. My question: Where the heck did it all go?! I feel like I've only gotten started.
Regardless, This last prompt has asked me how I would've approached the first homework assignment differently, knowing that which I do now. All truths told, I don't think my approach would've changed particularly much. The Hangman assignment was a simple game of hangman played within the console. Much of it is built around the StringBuilder and a collection of integers. I personally, do not see how a Data Access Object or Repository would improve it, beyond adding a few extra bells and whistles. Pulling the assignment off at all was a victory for me, as I've had more than a few difficulties with multi-file java assignments.
Speaking of victories, This semester has been quite a few of them. Having been able to involve myself with a much larger project, both solo and as part of a group, has been quite empowering. I've had an issue letting the scale of a given project intimidate me, both when getting started with it and working through it. I was actually able to get through it without such a feeling with the projects and homeworks in Dr. C's class. It felt oddly gratifying to look at the assignment checklist after finishing all the required tasks and going "oh, I'm done." each time. I think me and my groupmates had the same sentiment, as earlier today, we had a bit of a laugh over whether us getting through all the tasks of the second project and enjoying it was either us enjoying the grind or going nuts.
Speaking of victories, This semester has been quite a few of them. Having been able to involve myself with a much larger project, both solo and as part of a group, has been quite empowering. I've had an issue letting the scale of a given project intimidate me, both when getting started with it and working through it. I was actually able to get through it without such a feeling with the projects and homeworks in Dr. C's class. It felt oddly gratifying to look at the assignment checklist after finishing all the required tasks and going "oh, I'm done." each time. I think me and my groupmates had the same sentiment, as earlier today, we had a bit of a laugh over whether us getting through all the tasks of the second project and enjoying it was either us enjoying the grind or going nuts.
Considering my own experiences making small, custom patches for Factorio mods, I'd go with both. Enjoying it because I'm picturing how well the mods I was patching would play together when I was finished, and going nuts because I remember how much of a pain in the posterior it was to have to scour through the files thinking I had to redo the whole blasted thing only to discover that I had an extra brace somewhere. My dad actually does have a story about a hysterical client who had the same problem. Fun times.
Regardless, seeing as this is the last journal entry expected until the new semester starts, I'd like to thank Dr. C. for his efforts in putting the class together, thank Sami, the class's TA for helping and supporting us throughout, and to wish those of you reading a Merry Christmas!
Regardless, seeing as this is the last journal entry expected until the new semester starts, I'd like to thank Dr. C. for his efforts in putting the class together, thank Sami, the class's TA for helping and supporting us throughout, and to wish those of you reading a Merry Christmas!
Comments
Post a Comment