Week 5

With the conclusion of the fifth week, I now find myself past the halfway point in the first 2 classes of the program. It really did go by a lot quicker than I thought it would. This week's module put further emphasis on the use of AI in our writing assignments. I'll admit, I'm still very much on the fence as to how much I'm willing to lean on AI as a tool to assist in my assignments. Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate its help, but I am left with the sneaking sensation that perhaps AI is making it too easy. Of course, this is my first time using it to the extent that I am. So maybe it's just a sort of knee-jerk fear of the unfamiliar. Not sure yet. 

Speaking of new things, this week I finally got a more in-depth explanation as to what the capstone project is about and was about. The short version is that the capstone is a demonstration of everything that's been learned through the program. The capstone project is a software engineering project that could take the form of web program, a smartphone or smartwatch app, or even its own program. In any event, I've been tasked with coming up with a few ideas for what my project could be. I'll admit, I'm a little narrow in my perspective here. The reason I became so interested in computer science in general was because of my fascination with computer games, and later the process of modifying them. To which end, it shouldn't be a surprise that the first of these ideas is to create a game of sorts. Considering that the last cohort's capstone festival did feature a game, this idea quickly cemented itself as possibility. The same capstone festival also showcased a modding tool for the first Baldur's Gate, titled 'Infinity Areas'. This inspires the idea of perhaps creating a tool, if not explicitly for modding games, to help others create for themselves. And with the subject having made so many references to modding games already, the third idea is, perhaps too predictably, creating a mod or mod series for a game. Now I already get that this doesn't particularly hold up versus the other two, especially considering how small and simple a mod can be. But, I was short on ideas elsewhere, and didn't necessarily have the time to ask the instructor what exactly would or wouldn't satisfy project requisites. There are plenty opportunities to for a software engineer to find inspirations elsewhere, but in the off chance I don't find any by the time I need to officially start the capstone project itself, I consider this a note to myself to have a conversation with the instructor and iron the whole thing out. On that note: I keep hearing of the creative potential of a VR program called 'Resonite', might be worth a look.


The journal prompt for this week also called for the proof of having commented on the blogs of two of my learning teammates. Here are the links to the comment sections of the posts in question.

https://syv-w.blogspot.com/2025/09/week-4.html#comments

https://jaelcsonline.blogspot.com/2025/09/week-4.html#comments

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 Learning Journal